yes

.

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

11-18-13 Letter from Cassidy

HELLO. HI. Hey everyone. I miss you guys a lot!  But I am one happy camper here in Ohio and I had such an awesome week and I just want to tell you all the cool stuff so here we go. 

Okay the coolest thing happened last Tuesday. So Monday night we were planning for Tuesday, and we were finding old (like people who used to meet with missionaries) to stop by. We found a few promising people, and then I was flipping through people and I saw this guy Frank. He didn't look promising really but for some reason I felt like we needed to stop by his house. So Tuesday, none of the people were home.. so we headed to Franks. We get there, knock on the door, and a woman answers and tells us to come it. First I hate heart failure because no one just lets us in before we even say who we are... but hey I am not complaining. So we went in and asked if Frank was there... and she said that she had just bought this house. So I was like, GREAT Frank moved this is a nightmare. But then the lady (her name is Lavonne) said "I met with missionaries like you once before I moved here". I really did have heart failure that time. She thought that the other missionaries might have sent us to her, that is why she let us right in. And she went on to say that she knows God sent us to her, and that us showing up was Him reaching out to her. She said she really needs help right now and that she was so happy that we came by. I was literally dying. Dead. I mean she moved into this old potential investigator Frank's house... and I was lead there. I mean there is no way that God is not leading us because this does not just happen. It was the coolest experience ever. I know that missionaries met Frank years ago, so that we could go back and find Lavonne now. And getting to see these miracles is coolest thing ever. Man I love being a missionary. So we have been back teaching Lavonne, and we are teaching her more this week. She is the coolest! She is so willing to learn, and it is fun because she is really straightup about things. Most of our investigators make it a mystery if they have questions or concerns.. and we spend half the time trying to dig into their souls and see if they even understand what we are teaching. But Lavonne just tells us everything and it is so fun. 

I also had a really cool experience up at Kirtland! So on Thursday, these other missionaries brought in one of the people they are teaching, and his name was Frank. There are a lot of people named Frank in my life right now, it's gettin weird. haha. But anyways so he was an older guy.. and he comes in, and shows us this picture that he drew of a Sawmill. We looked at it and we were like "Wow you drew the Kirtland Sawmill!" and He told us that  TWO months before he met the missionaries, he had a dream of the sawmill, and woke up in the middle of the night and drew the picture. Last week the missionaries gave him this Kirtland coin and for some reason it made him think of the Sawmill... so he showed them the picture and they freaked out. And the sawmill in his dream was the exact same as the Kirtland one... and he didn't even know it existed. So he took it as a sign and we got to give him a tour! It was so incredible. I never really liked the sawmill because I thought it was kinda boring (whoops) but this changed my whole perspective and now I kinda love the sawmill. It was just really neat that God spoke to him through something in Kirtland. It was just a really cool experience. 

Other than Frank, Kirtland was really slow this week. They are getting ready for our big Nativity event (where there are over 500 different nativity sets) so hopefully once that starts going next week we will get busier! One day we were bored, so we just did a lot of studying. We got to study some of the Doctrine and Convents in the rooms that they were received in. I can't really think of  a cooler place to study the scriptures. And we also thought it would be a good idea to eat chili peppers that are growing in front of the Whitney home.... BAD IDEA. My mouth and lips were literally a raging inferno and I thought I was potentially going to have to die. Never again will I pick a random pepper and eat it. It did spice up the day thought... (see what I did there? Ha ha.) 

We didn't go tracting at all this week because we had so many lessons... which is amazing! I feel so blessed that we have so many people to teach. We taught Barbra about the Word of Wisdom.. and I was kinda nervous because I had never taught it before really, but she took it really well and she said she is going to stop drinking coffee.. so that was cool. Brenda is going to be done smoking by Thursday this week (AH SO EXCITED) so she can be baptized! She is doing so good since she has been praying for strength to overcome it.. and I really have a lot of faith that it is going to happen. Keep praying for her! 

The hardest thing this week was a lot of bad things keep happening to the people we are teaching (like family deaths, getting robbed, ect...) and 2 of them this week said "I don't understand why now that I am trying so much harder to be better and get closer to God, that all these hard things are happening." And it is really hard to watch them go through stuff because I really do love them. We have been trying to explain that sometimes bad things happen before great things do, and that sometimes things happen to test our faith. I am praying that they will not give up because I know that things will get better for them and that the Gospel really will bless their lives. 

Joe had to have surgery or something on his leg.. so he wasn't able to come to church. Which was a major travesty. I wanted to cry. But I got to talk to him for a good hour on the phone... because he never quits talking. He was telling me about before he found God he was some tough mean guy supposedly.. and he said "I used to be like 'I DONT NEED YOU CASSIDY' (in a loud booming voice)." and he went on saying "THE ANGRIER I GOT THE MORE POWERFUL I GOT" And I was literally laughing so hard. It was the funniest thing ever. And he was saying that he would try to come to church, but that he couldn't walk. So I told him we could get a wheelchair to push him around.. and he said "NO ONE in the church is going to see Joe Zarlino in a wheelchair. People look at you if you are in a wheelchair. I will crawl, hop, or skip if I have to. I know in my heart and in my mind that I can do it." hahahaha I was dying. IT kills me everyday that I can't make a Joe Zarlino twitter account.. because the things he says are too good. I actually get really sad all the time that I can't put stuff on youtube.. because I meet like 6 people a week who should be youtube sensations. Ya know the "Hide yo kids, hide yo wife" and "Aint nobody got time for that" I am literally teaching 48 people who are like that but funnier. I mean I could get rich with these people... it is a lot of wasted potential.. but what can I do.  I just wish you could see them. Heavenly Father really loves me because he sends me to the funniest people on the planet. I actually spend WAY too much of my time laughing.. it is becoming a problem. I just am having so much fun being a missionary and getting to meet so many different people. They each have blessed my life so much, and I know that the Gospel is blessing their lives as well. Missionary work is probably the coolest thing ever. 

Well, I have to get going but I hope that you all have a great week! I love you lots! 

Love Cassidy 

No comments:

Post a Comment