yes

.

Saturday, December 21, 2013

Happy Holidays 12-16-13

Hey guys! 

|t was the craziest week of my mission. It started out really great! We had some awesome lessons. We had a lesson with Lavonne, she told us that she repented for the first time and that she felt the holy ghost so strong. She asked us what she can do to have that feeling more and we were so excited. She is GOING to be baptized on January 11th! We spent a day with Sister Baker doing service and it was so fun. PLUS she made potato donuts for us and they were delicious! Felt like home! She's the best ever. 

On Saturday I had exchanges... and all of our appointments fell through. And I was like GREAT now what do we do. So we were going to tract... and there were just all these people outside shoveling snow. So we talked to this one guy and taught him a lesson. He said he had always been confused about why there are so many different religions and how he could know what was true. We talked about the Restoration and Joesph Smith and how he can know. Also his name is Eguene Fitzgerald (Which sounds like a celebrity but we can't remember because we are cut off from society) so he was awesome. Then we were talking to this lady Susan, and I told her how we have a modern prophet living on the earth today. And I asked her if she thought it could be true.. and she said "I don't know, but I just got goosebumps" and I was like THAT IS THE SPIRIT BECAUSE IT IS TRUE. It was so cool. 

Then Saturday night. Everything burned to the ground. Okay not really but... .things got bad. SO our phone starts ringing.. I grab it and it says "President Vellinga" And I was like crap either someone is dead or we are in trouble. I was almost too scared to answer it. But I did. And he said he needed to talk to Sister Derrick. SO FIRST... she got called to be a training leader.. which means she is getting transferred. So I was bummed because I love her and I didn't want her to leave... but I was a little happy because that meant I would get to stay... right.... then PLOT TWIST.... President Vellinga says "Sister Jensen... you are going to be transferred too." And me and Sister Derrick both yelled "NOOOOOOOOOO" into the phone for like 20 seconds. 

THEY ARE CLOSING OUR AREA. It was the most heartbreaking thing of my entire life. First of all I am devastated I have to leave. Second... there will be elders who are taking over our area.. and all of our investigators. I just started crying because I love our investigators SO much and the thought of new people just taking over killed me. Especially because we have built up such strong relationships with these people. And typically at least one of us would stay and just ONE new person would come it. But now it is going from 2 girls to 2 boys who do not know them at all. 

Anyways so we begged our mission president.. and he said he would try to figure something else out. You see the problem is that there are 3 sisters going home, and none coming.. so they have empty places. So okay this was funny, we were driving when he called us back, (Oh and we aren't allowed to talk on the phone while we are driving) and Sister Derrick just stopped the car in the middle of the road to try to answer the phone and I was like You cannot just stop hahah. It was funny. But he said there is nothing he can do and we both have to leave. So I was just sitting there crying because I am a baby... and President said "Sister Jensen?" and I couldn't really talk so he said to Sister Derrick "How bad is it?" and she said "Pretty bad." hahaha so that happened. I was just so shocked and sad. 

 SO I was in depression basically all of Saturday night. Honestly just because I can't even describe how much I love the people we are teaching, and the ward members, and the area. I am in no way ready to leave... and I thought for sure I was staying so my whole world was shattered. PLUS being in a new place with new people right before Chirstmas is a little depressing. But the good news is the church is still true and I still get to be a missionary and this is all part of the plan!

It has been a really humbling experience for me. Because it was one of those things where I didn't understand why God would do this to us and to the people we are teaching. It just felt like we were abandoning them. So I had to pray a lot about it, and I realized something the other night when we were in a lesson with Brenda. We were talking about how she prays for help.. but she says "God take away my desire to smoke but don't let me get sick". I was explaining that God can only really help us when we are willing to do it His way, not ours. And while we were talking about that it hit me.. that I wanted to do the work my way.. not His. And both of us leaving is His will... it is the way that He wants the work to go. And I have had to trust Him that this is for the best. And I really have felt so much peace about it. Even though I am so sad I am leaving, I have felt such a reassurance that the people will be taken care of, and that I will go somewhere else where more people need me to bring them the Gospel. 

So that has been the journey of this week. The past few days we made all of our investigators cookies (I only burnt one batch... so it was a success) and we have been saying goodbye. It has been SO HARD. Brenda D was really upset... but guess what SHE CAME TO CHURCH!! Me and Sister Derricks last Sunday together we FINALLY had someone come. I was so happy I actually was dancing around the church. No wonder they are kicking me out of this area. hahah. 

Lavonne was so sad. It was hard. We had an awesome lesson with her last night and she just kept saying "I can't believe you guys are leaving me" and I wanted to just staple my feet to the ground so I couldn't ever leave. The spirit was so strong the whole lesson and I am just so happy that I was blessed with the opportunity to spend time with her. At the end of the lesson, all of the kids she watches... which was like 8 or something... all knelt down with us as we were saying a prayer and it was the neatest experience. A lot of them come from really rough homes and it was incredible to know that they felt God's love at least the times we were all praying. 

We still have to say goodbye to Inger, Brenda D, and a few more people. It was the hardest saying goodbye to Sister Baker. She has been so great and I love her so much. It is just tough But it just makes me realize how much God has blessed me. I got to serve in the most incredible place with an amazing companion, and with the best people in the world. 

OH and yeah.... another fun thing happened this week. Yesterday morning I woke up and half of my face was the size of an elephant... so we had to go to Urgent Care... and I HAVE STAPH INFECTION ON MY FACE. So we spent a good while there... and then getting medicine... and I am supposed to keep heat on it... and then I burnt my face with the hot water. So it has really just been a hot mess. Literally.  I mean I am cool with it but getting it the day before I have to MOVE is not exactly perfect timing. The good news is I am not going to die. It was funny though because all of the nurses were making fun of me... and then I could hear them talking and they were like "Who is she? She has a nametag" and they were trying to figure it out.. and I wanted to yell "I AM A MISSIONARY FROM THE CHURCH OF JESUS CHRIST OF LATTER DAY SAINTS AND THE GOSPEL WILL BLESS YOUR LIFE." But I didn't get to because the Doctor ruined it. Super bummer. Oh well I will get them the next time my face decides to start on fire. It hurts pretty bad though actually and I do not recommend this to anyone. And also.. I can't smile... and I look like I got beat up. Oh well happy holidays! Hopefully it will heal before I skype you... if not you can make fun of me because it is hilarious. Every time I see my reflection I laugh my head off. 

Okay well since I am getting transferred I have to go pack my life up. I miss you guys and I cannot wait to skype you on Christmas! I hope you all have a great week. I am realizing now more than ever that I have been so blessed. It is going to be hard not being home with the family for Christmas.. but I am grateful that I have you and that I am able to spend this time serving the Lord. Christ is what this season is all about, and I am grateful that I get to be one of His missionaries and teach other people about Him!   I am so happy that I can be here and I love every single day. Thanks for your emails and letters!! I LOVE YOU GUYS.

Love Cassidy

No comments:

Post a Comment